[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Kim Hawtin kimhawtin at gmail.com
Mon May 14 01:35:59 UTC 2007

On 5/14/07, James Polley <linuxaus at zhasper.com> wrote:
> On 13/05/07, linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com <
> linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> > Tux500 Why is this important?

Isn't this dead yet?

> > DELL will soon be offering Linux preinstalled on  DELL computers, but
> > this offer will only be to US customers, NOT Australian customers.

Dell have their own advertising budget.

They do their own marketing and are very effective at getting their
advertising/spam in your inbox.

If they are pushing Linux because it betters their bottom line,
they are going to do a better job than a little bit motor racing sponsorship.

> > What it will take for DELL to make that offer is for the offering of
> > Linux on DELL computers in the US to be a sales success (whatever that
> > is to DELL).

Who cares if Dell in the US are successful? I mean really?

Why does FOSS/Linux have to be about corporate success all the time?

I am sick to death of Linux vs Microsoft, FOSS vs Commercial...

> So spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to have a tiny decal on a minor
> car in a minor sport in the US....

Indy car is irrelavent in the big scheme of motor sport in Australia,
please stop flogging a dead horse!

regards,

Kim