[Linux-aus] The Great Debate 28 May 2007 - Linux vs Windows

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Sat May 12 06:10:49 UTC 2007

Brent Wallis wrote:

> The ACS should be representative of the whole ICT sector, and should
> not promote or participate in debates like those that have been put
> forward.

the ACS is a professional society comprised of its members.  It
represents those members and the profession.  It does not seek to
represent the entire ICT industry and neither it should, you have many
industry associations for that purpose eg AIIA, EIAA, AIMIA, AEEMA, IIA
etc etc.  No-one expects the Institution of Engineers (Engineers
Australia) to represent all of the engineering industry why have
different expectations of ACS?

I think we should marvel at the fact that the ACS is demonstrating an
awareness of other than proprietary tools by staging this debate, and
indeed those who can, should attend in order to support this educative
process.

[snip]

> The topic posed by the ACS debate mentions a companies name for
> heavens sake, how can that be seen as a neutral question designed to
> promote real debate about an important subject?
>
> This is the vested interest I made comment on...

and it shows that ACS believes that most of today's members of the ACS
work in the world of Microsoft, so what's wrong with proposing to these
members that there is another way and invite them to come along and
learn about it?

Let's congratulate ACS for raising the issue amongst its
microsoft-and-other-proprietary-software-experienced members and hope
that through enlightened debate we can encourage them to consider other
ways of getting the job done with the right tools, whatever they may be.

cheers
brenda
--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS, PCP