[Linux-aus] Re: High school computing texts

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Thu Mar 22 09:13:21 UTC 2007

Glen,

> Hi Jon,
>
> The Australian universities have spent a lot of time and
> effort writing a set of math textbooks for students >12
> years old.  See
>    http://www.icemaths.org/
> They are slowly covering all the classes to 18 years old.
>
> Addition algorithms are the first topic.
>
> Number bases are not taught until after algebra, as they
> fall out naturally from polynomials and they aren't a
> prerequisite for other knowledge.

I guess that all depends on when you start teaching computers and what
level you wish to teach them.

> Only the advanced students (top 50%) get this far.

So 50% of the students do not receive algebra, or they do not
go beyond algebra?  No trig?

> The ICE-EM textbooks are an example that a group of practitioners
> can tap the energy of classroom teachers to trial classroom
> material developed by the practitioners and to build a better
> understanding of the field by students.
>
> I propose to do the same for computing.  Unlike ICE-EM I
> am proposing the texts be Free.  It's also clear that
> computing needs a lot more support material to be available.
> There simply isn't the same depth of understanding of computing
> principles by teachers as there is of math principles.

And I do not blame the teachers for not having that "depth of
understanding".  For most of them the computer is a tool, but math is a
necessity. While I had no real love for formal math when I was growing
up, I have come to appreciate the necessity of it in explaining the
world around me.  I could still live without computers.  I guess that
puts me in somewhat the same camp as Don Knuth.

I wonder sometimes if the same kids who hate math and physics really
understand that without engineers using both of them that iPODS would
not exist, and even music itself would be in danger.

> The syllabus is a real issue for us, unlike ICE-EM.  As you
> can see from this discussion, there's a much wider divergence
> of views of what should be in a computing syllabus.  I'm
> not sure what to do about topics covered by a misguided
> syllabus. Putting them in a textbook enshrines the teaching
> of them and places pressure on the other states' syllabii
> to incorporate them.
>
> Cheers, Glen

I do appreciate the explanation.  I spoke up because of the issue of
binary arithmetic, numerical bases and its application to computing.  I
guess I am more than a little sensitive to this topic this week due to
John Backus dying.  I want to go up to some of these kids, rip their ear
buds out of their ears and...well, never mind.

I stated my opinion, gave examples, and now I return your mailing list
to its regularly scheduled program.

Warmest regards,

maddog