[Linux-aus] Re: High school computing texts

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Thu Mar 22 05:49:18 UTC 2007

> If it's such an important part of maths then why don't you *teach it in
> maths*?

That is exactly what I am advocating.  Has that been done?  Or do your
schools do what a lot of schools do today, give them a calculator at an
age when they have no real understanding?

> FWIW I read the story in the link, and it seems to me that the maths
> curriculum in NSW is better than wherever you were.

Perhaps the "maths" curriculum in NSW is better than the one in Harford,
Ct. USA in the 1970s, but the fact that you are all talking about the
difficulty in understanding binary and why it is necessary for CS
suggests to me that your "maths" curriculum is not better.  If your
curriculum had taught it, then when it came up in CS it would be a check
mark, not an issue.

md