[Linux-aus] High school computing texts

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Mon Mar 19 14:25:22 UTC 2007

Glen Turner wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Gave a chat at a high school the other morning. Had a look
> at the textbook whilst I was there and it was absolutely dire.
>
> Dumbed down, unclear and wrong, with a bizarre choice of topics.
>
> Anyone get pointers to a mailing list of high school computing
> teachers.  I'd be happy to take the year or two to write a
> decent textbook if there are teachers willing to road test it.
>
> Cheers, Glen

AFAIK in NSW the texts and syllabus are set for each subject by the
Board of Studies and reviewed every five to six years. There are similar
board of studies type setups for each state I'd imagine.

I am only working from what a teacher friend of mine has filled me in
with. What is being taught in NSW is available from the Board of Studies
website http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au

Looks like they are phasing in a revised syllabus this year for stage 6
that replaces the previous version from 2002.

Regards,

Andrew Swinn