[Linux-aus] Computerbank Free End User Linux Training Report

Kylie Davies mailkylie at optushome.com.au
Tue Mar 6 08:43:16 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

Sorry this is so late, we've been amazingly busy here at Computerbank.

Cheers!

Kylie

Computerbank Free End User Linux Training Report - February 2007

Summary

During 2006, Computerbank received $1800 from Linux Australia for the
purpose of providing end user Linux training and printed materials for
recipients of our computers. The grant enabled Computerbank to recruit
more trainers and to continue to provide a printed user guide for people
receiving our computers.

Funding Outcomes

The money has been used to encourage more trainers to deliver group
training at Computerbank. Trainers received an honorarium of $30 per
session while training assistants received $20 per session.

The honorariums were used to cover some of the costs incurred by
trainers such as transport and meals. They were also a nice way to say
thank you for the work performed, particularly when it was the same
people training every week even though they may not have wanted to.

For the period of the grant (Dec 2005 – Sept 2006) 30 training sessions
were delivered. While we always schedule 5-6 people to a class there was
a high rate of no shows. At least 6 of the sessions delivered had less
than 2 people in them. Most had 3 or more. In total 110 people received
end user desktop Linux training.

Not everyone who receives a computer from us does training, we are
finding that more people are finding Linux easier to use. Many more
people received our guide than did our training, approximately 300 Linux
user guides were distributed during the time of the grant.

At the start of the grant period Computerbank had two regular trainers,
at the end of the grant period, we have 3 more regular people who can
help out. This has made a great difference to our ability to deliver
training to new Linux users. By having more people to draw from, we are
at less risk of 'burning out' trainers and can still continue to spread
the good word about Linux and FOSS.

While we no longer offer honorariums to trainers we are able to
reimburse any out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of
volunteering. During the period of the grant, Computerbank changed our
distribution model to more of a shop-style service. As a result we
increased the prices of our computers (still the cheapest in Australia)
and have more income to use for the purpose of reimbursing volunteers
for out of pocket expenses and services above and beyond the call.

Computerbank appreciates all the support it receives from Linux
Australia, web hosting, mailing lists and general support. In this case
the grant funds allocated for the purpose of attracting more trainers
and printing guides has enabled us to continue to do our work while also
increasing our pool of regular volunteer trainers.

Thanks a bunch!

Kylie Davies,
President
Computerbank Victoria