[Linux-aus] Fwd: Use of Penguin Image on Instant Scratchie Tickets.

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Mon Jun 18 13:55:23 UTC 2007

Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:
> Paul,
>
> What is the goal of your investigation into the use of "Tux" on the
> lottery tickets?
>
> o to force them to take Tux off the tickets?
> o to force them to change the tickets to acknowledge Larry and the GIMP?
> o to "police and protect" Tux from being used in other ways (plumbing,
> ice cream, etc.)?
> o to create a newsworthy event that would thrust Tux, Linux and Larry
> into the limelight?
>
> <snip>

I think educating the lottery in a non-threatening way would be
perfectly reasonable. A response along the lines of:

    "Well actually, that image was created back in 1996. See <insert
    reference etc>. The penguin represents <insert explanation about
    Linux and open source>.

    While the image is freely distributable, and you are free to use it,
    the creator has stated that he would appreciate being acknowledged
    when asked, as I have done to you in this situation."

I'm inclined to think the lottery would actually be pleased, since they
probably payed someone else quite royally for Larry's work which they
could have got for free anywhere. I know I'd be *really pissed* if I
payed someone for an 11yrold freely distributable and freely usable image.

Meanwhile, you're educating people in the spirit and benefits of Linux
and open source.

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper