[Linux-aus] Bids for linux.conf.au 2009 host city

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Sun Jun 10 08:35:02 UTC 2007

Paul Wayper wrote:
> Craig Box wrote:
>>> So thats Brisbane and Hobart, anyone else caught the bug?
>>>
>> I thought I heard it was due to be held in Broome?
>>
>> (Careful, or one of us crafty NZers will bid for it again)
>>
> I'm cool with all those options.  I believe Broome can't be that hard,
> either.  I'd rather go to somewhere LCA hasn't been before (but I grew
> up in Brisbane, so I still sort of like it).
>
> Have fun,
>
> Paul
Well, in the long term, I'd love to be able to put in a bid for here in
Albury-Wodonga and have a non-capital-city LCA, but at this point 2010
would be the earliest conceivable option.

The reasons for this are such:

* We currently don't have an active LUG, which *will* change within the
next few months <insert evil grin here>
* Regional bandwidth still sucks. ADSL2 isnt due here for a little while
yet, although hopefully this will change within a few years.

At this point the plan is as follows:

* Get the LUG going
* Run SFD this year
* Upgrade to a 2 day 'Open Technology Weekend' next year
* Bid for LCA2010

It is quite ambitious, yes, but "if you never ever go, you'll never ever
know"

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper