[Linux-aus] [AussieChix] Talking on women in FOSS - help please?

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Fri Jun 1 09:50:13 UTC 2007

[Note to AussieChix: this thread is being carbon copied to linux-aus. If
you don't want to end up in public archives, watch your Ccs.]

On Fri, Jun 01, 2007, James Purser wrote:
> Sometimes I wonder what efforts have been made at LUG levels to include
> the partners of those attending?
>
> I know SLUG has been running a "SLUG Chix" event before the main SLUG
> meeting, this has allowed both women in the industry and others
> interested in FOSS to gather over a coffee in an a way the enables them
> to get involved without necessarily getting into the full SLUG mode.

This actually wasn't a SLUG effort, it was a LinuxChix effort.

It's also a difficult model:
 1. it's hard to get people to turn up month in month out for a social
    event that's the same every time
 2. LUGs tend to be on at the most convienient time of the evening,
    which limits the extent this can be done. For example, SLUG is on at
    6:30 which puts our coffee at 5:30 which makes it hard for women to come
    because frequently they can't get away from work that early

> Could this model be propogated to other LUGs?

I'd suggest making it an occasional event rather than a regular one, for
other people interested in the model.

-Mary