[Linux-aus] [Fwd: Re: Linux programs: Retailing]

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is appropriate for here, I guess it can't hurt to ask.

You might recall Bret from James' FOSS on the Air show. Bret is a
community development worker for a small community (50 or so) in the NT
outback. Lingarra is looking for some retailing software for their
ubuntu set up. See forwarded email.

They are running 2 high end PIII laptops and also have a mid range PIII
desktop. They may be able to purchase a faster laptop for this. They do
not have bar code scanners they just want something simple. Web based
would be OK if it was easy enough to get up and running. The commerce
package should be easy to use and administer.

Any suggestions? What other information is needed to inform this
decision?

Another idea is that someone might volunteer to help implement a system
(using remote access and IRC) with them. The person might also become a
source of support after the system is set up. If this sounds like your
cup of tea please get in touch with Bret (cc above) and myself.

Cheers,

Kylie
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Bret,

Happy new year to you, hope this email finds you fine and dandy. I'm
feeling pretty refreshed after a break.

With regards to commerce type software for Linux - I know there is heaps
but not sure what to recommend based on your needs. If it is OK with you
I can forward your email out to some of the Linux lists I am on and we
can see what the masses recommend.

Hope to see you online soon,

Cheers,

Kylie

On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 09:44 +0930, Bret Fishley wrote:
> Hi Kylie,
>
> Hope life is good for you....
>
> We are starting up a community store. We were wondering if you know of
> some sort of accounting stock tracking software that would be able to
> assist us?
>
> What we want to be able to do is have product codes for each product
> which has their price on them for when people buy stuff. We also want to
> be able to use this to do orders and stocktakes of stock from time to
> time. So for example, product code 7 is say Oats 1KG size. We will be
> able to see how many 1KG oats have been sold, what is in stock, and how
> many we need to order to get back to normal stock level.
>
> If you know of a Linux program that can do this for us can you please
> let me know. We may need to purchase another lap-top for this purpose.
> If there is no Linux program you know of we will probably have to seek
> government funding for a new computer and a microsoft based product
> which we would prefer to avoid.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Bret

--- End Message ---