Second Life [Was: [Linux-aus] In the news today]

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Wed Jan 31 11:17:04 UTC 2007

On 30/01/07, Kelly Daly <kelly at somewoman.com> wrote:
> > So, I'd like to offer my support to Jeff's email and position.
> >
> > I really welcome the open-sourcing of their client (as I'd like to
> > have a look to see what all the noise is about), but I think it's
> > watering down our message if Linux Australia comes out and supports
> > (what is currently) proprietary software.
>
> Sorry Michael and Jeff - this just doesn't sit right with me...

That's ok :-)

> So if I'm reading and interpreting the above correctly, we are saying that
> if someone is TRYING to do the right thing we will snub them until they're
> fully there - how does that help them?  If we see someone trying to walk our
> path and stumbling over real obstacles, is it right to ignore them unless
> they manage to get to our preferred destination?  Would it not be better to
> say "here, let me help you, what support do you need?"

It's not a case of "we're snubbing you until we're there" but rather
(IMHO) "you won't get free software/open-source software organisations
saying you're cool and froody until you are there".

Am I suggesting that open-source/free software people shouldn't help
them "get there"? No, that's a personal choice, and I think I made my
position clear in my email - help them get there.

Am I saying that Linux Australia should not give it's "stamp of
approval" to SL?  Yes, right now my opinion is that "we" (LA)
shouldn't.  And that's because it's a closed, proprietry system right
now.

I think open-source organisations, like LA, should richly support
those companies who are out there doing open-source.  And for those
honestly trying to get there?  LA should help them (and in our
community that really means individuals contributing), but not get
endorsement until they are there.

If I can give an analogy, we've recently renovated our kitchen.  Or at
least it's 90% done.  It's been that way for 6 months - the company
hasn't been back to finish the job.  They ring us occasionally for
money as we haven't paid all that we owe - if we pay them now what
chance do you think we have of getting the job finished?  Sheesh - 6
months of time, and less than a day's effort of work remaining.  No,
when they finish the job they get paid right away with much fanfare,
until then we keep on lobbying them to finish the job.

I think it's the same with SL.

At the end of the day, we've all got (good) opinions and that's ok.
Good luck LA executive finding a position your constituency is happy
with :-)

Happy, happy, joy, joy :-)

Michael...
--
Michael Davies           "Do what you think is interesting, do somthing that
michael at the-davies.net    you think is fun and worthwhile, because otherwise