Second Life [Was: [Linux-aus] In the news today]

Kelly Daly kelly at somewoman.com
Tue Jan 30 21:13:04 UTC 2007

> So, I'd like to offer my support to Jeff's email and position.
>
> I really welcome the open-sourcing of their client (as I'd like to
> have a look to see what all the noise is about), but I think it's
> watering down our message if Linux Australia comes out and supports
> (what is currently) proprietary software.

Sorry Michael and Jeff - this just doesn't sit right with me...

So if I'm reading and interpreting the above correctly, we are saying that
if someone is TRYING to do the right thing we will snub them until they're
fully there - how does that help them?  If we see someone trying to walk our
path and stumbling over real obstacles, is it right to ignore them unless
they manage to get to our preferred destination?  Would it not be better to
say "here, let me help you, what support do you need?"

I think it's wonderful that they have taken the initiative to open source
their product.  They have openly stated that this is their aim, and these
are the steps they are taking to get there.  Here are the priorities (which
make sense).  The open source community should back them and say we're here
to support you 100%.  Help you get there faster (and betterer)!  AND...
Help Linden become a showcase for why other companies should be looking to
follow suit and GPL their own products!

I'm sorry, but this all or nothing approach just makes us look pig-headed
and difficult...  Not the happy happy joy joy linux = freedom + power thing
we're going for, right?

We have these open days and things where we tell ppl to "step away from the
dark side", but when they show signs of trying to we tell them "yeah - uh,
good luck with that.  We'll come back and say hi when you finish the
struggle.  Ciao!"

Jeff said "I'm weighing the difference between agitating for openness from
the inside or choosing to avoid a closed ecosystem."  I say - Let's start
agitating.  Linden have taken the first step... let's clamour for them to go
all the way.