[Linux-aus] In the news today (second life & Linux/FOSS)

Kelly Daly kelly at somewoman.com
Tue Jan 30 14:11:06 UTC 2007

On 1/30/07, Marco Ostini <m.ostini at uq.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi James, et al,
>
> Here are some sobering numbers to consider regarding the rapid growth of
> Second Life, and I'm sure it's a motive for many corporations and
> organisations getting involved.
>
> At this moment, there are in Second Life;
>
> Total Residents:        3,068,521
> Logged In Last 60 Days:         1,014,117
> Online Now:     19,535
> US$ Spent Last 24h:     $1,024,708
> LindeX Activity Last 24h:       $182,375

Something else to consider:

earlier last week that number (total residents) was hovering around
2,700,000ish until a special was shown on german television...  almost
overnight there were 200k registrations from that region.

ABC's Four Corners is doing a documentary on secondlife now - interviewing
ppl over the coming weeks on SL and what has been going on in Australia in
this field.

It might not be too late to get Linux Australia a small segment in there? A
"here's our intentions" kinda thing if not "here's what we've done"