[Linux-aus] Re: linux.conf.au Possible *Future* Programme Format

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Wed Jan 10 10:29:02 UTC 2007

On 2007-01-10, Jeff Waugh <jdub at perkypants.org> wrote:
> We have a lot of competition between main conference streams as it is.
> If we want miniconfs to continue to evolve towards "community
> organised streams", then they will need to compete on the same grounds
> as main conference talks.

This could be quite hard for miniconfs since almost by definition the
average miniconf talk will be over lower "quality"[1] than a talk of the
same length in the main conference programme. Especially for LCA where the main
conference rejects so many talks while most of the miniconfs (appear to)
have to work to fill there slots.

Does this mean that a 2 day, 30 person miniconf on a specialized topic is
going to have a hard time in the future?

[1] - Note that "quality" here might mean "appeal to many people" which
for specialized miniconfs isn't really a problem.

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.