[Linux-aus] Re: linux.conf.au Possible *Future* Programme Format

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Jan 10 09:27:02 UTC 2007

<quote who="Mary Gardiner">

> we would have had to schedule around those speakers' commitments to the
> main conference, and we also would have possibly had to have actually
> competed against our own speakers appearing in the main conference; as
> community drawcards people like Val and Akkana would draw our attendees
> out from the miniconf.

We have a lot of competition between main conference streams as it is. If we
want miniconfs to continue to evolve towards "community organised streams",
then they will need to compete on the same grounds as main conference talks.

(The strong theme of miniconfs will be as helpful to programming as our work
with main conference 'virtual streams' was this year - I think we took a lot
of the pain out of programming, and did a pretty awesome job of reducing the
clash damage.)

- Jeff

  "A problem worthy of attack, proves its worth by fighting back." - Paul
                                   Erdos