[Linux-aus] New name for linux.conf.au in 2007

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Tue Jan 9 14:06:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:51:29PM +0900, Bret Busby wrote:

> Instal PINE (preferably version 4.64, to reproduce this properly) on
> your Linux, and configure it to receive email (but not delete it from
> your IMAP or POP server, so you can revert to using your previous email
> application).
>
> Then forward the message to yourself, from your existing email
> application, so that you receive it in PINE, as I had done.
>
> Then, try to copy the URL from PINE, and paste it to a browser window
> URL text box
>
> Then, IF you can do that, you tell us how you managed to do it.

Hi Bret,
	I have gained access to an older PINE install (4.10).
I exported Jeff's email into an mbox file and read it in pine.

To do this I opened an xterm (note not gnome terminal or Kconsole)
ssh'd to the host with pine installed, viewed the email.

Selected the text with the mouse, and use the middle button to paste
that into firefox.

That seems like an entirely reasonable process to me.  If this isn't how
your email setup works then it is a shame.  I don't think that is a
reasonable discussion topic for the forum.

Unfortunately the bulk of the humor is visual so it will be lost when
translated to plain text email.

Here is the content of:
	http://perkypants.org/blog/2007/01/06/new-name-for-linuxconfau-in-2007/

(HTML introduced in the vain hope that it helps you)
---
New name for linux.conf.au in 2007

This year, linux.conf.au will be renamed. After lengthy debate on the
Linux Australia mailing list, the Seven team has decided that the only
way to make any progress on the issue without the community being
crippled by consensus gridlock is to simply make a decision and move on.
Ask for forgiveness, not permission, as they say.

Thus, as of the opening of the conference on January 15th, linux.conf.au
will henceforth be known as linux.con f.au.
[ED: not the ' ' (space) between the 'n' and 'f' of 'conf']

<Photo of conference hat (please don't ask me to describe it) with a
clear manufacturing and unfortunate mistake introducing the space
between 'n' and 'f' mentioned above>
---

Bret, there is no conspiracy, no secret club, no attempt to keep you in
the dark.  In fact the I'd guess the /only/ reason for the URL is
because the "joke" is visual and it doesn't translate to plain text
email.

Bret (and other) /please/ let this be the last post on the matter, not
because I want the last word, but because I hope everyone gets the joke
and would like to move on with planning their trips to LCA '07, or
making a cup of Tea.

Yours Tony

   linux.conf.au       http://linux.conf.au/ || http://lca2007.linux.org.au/
   Jan 15-20 2007      The Australian Linux Technical Conference!