[Linux-aus] Nominations and their spiels for the LA election

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Jan 9 00:41:01 UTC 2007

<quote who="Anthony Towns">

> The benefit of having people go out and mingle on the world stage is it
> helps introduce you to great ideas from elsewhere, and helps you share
> your great ideas with others.

I've mentioned LA during most of my presentations, briefly explaining what
it is and what it does. Without fail, a bunch of locals will demand more
info about it, because it sounds like such a mind-bogglingly awesome idea.
We've got a bloody amazing thing going with this Linux Australia stunt. :)

> > >    - each LUG of 50 members or more shall be entitled to ask LA to invite
> > >      an Australian free software hacker to give a presentation at one
> > >      of their meetings once a year
> >
> > I'd have thought that LUGs were already entitled to ask for such a
> > thing.
>
> I think the problem is more that people don't feel entitled to do so;
> either because they don't think of it in the first place, or because they
> don't think their little LUG is worth the expense, or they figure LA is
> some grumpy bunch of people who aren't worth asking for help, or whatever
> else.

I suspect a large part of what drives this is the limited supply of working
grants. It doesn't feel like a regular and normal thing. I have been trying
to think up excuses to apply for a grant recently, just to demonstrate what
can be done, so others don't feel so timid about it, or feel that it's like
begging.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

    "...and did you know that Twisties have real cheese in them?" - Dave
        "I didn't even think they had real twists in them!" - Andrew