[Linux-aus] Correction to Linux Australia election timing

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Mon Jan 8 19:52:02 UTC 2007

Hi Linux Australia,

When I sent out the notification for the Linux Australia Committee 2007
a little while ago I made a mistake with the timing. When adding the
election to the online voting system I entered the times as EDST (GMT
+11) without even thinking about the timezone setting on the LA server,
which happens to be in Perth and running at GMT +9.

The official election schedule was announced in this message:

http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2006-November/msg00131.html

Unfortunately we can't just let the election continue to run on Perth
time as originally set up because we need it to finish before the AGM
which is taking place at linux.conf.au, so I've edited the election to
set the voting to end at 15:30 Perth time and results to be visible at
15:31 Perth time. That makes the end of the voting period consistent
with the timing I set out in my original notice. In the interests of
making minimal changes though I haven't changed any other values.

The vote information itself is available online to members:

http://www.linux.org.au/membership/index.php?page=view-election&id=9

Hopefully you're not totally confused now! This was my fault and I
apologise for messing up the original election timing.

Just to summarise: the vote information listed on the page above is at
Perth time, GMT+9. The end time has been amended to 15:30 on Jan 16th
(Perth time), which corresponds to 17:30 EDST (the start of the AGM).

I'll send out reminders at appropriate times to make sure everybody has
the opportunity to vote, and if you have any questions please contact
the Committee or myself.

Cheers   :-)

Jonathan Oxer
President