[Linux-aus] Gaming Miniconf - Mystery Speaker announced, still need your help!

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Fri Jan 5 11:39:02 UTC 2007

Hello,

Only 12 days to go till the Gaming Miniconf. Here is all the latest
news. With tickets to LCA almost gone, if you haven't yet registered do
so ASAP or miss out!

*** Don't forget that you can come to the Gaming Miniconf even if you
registered for another Miniconf! ***

Tim Ansell
Gaming Miniconf Organiser

=== Mystery Speaker ==
The Gaming Miniconf is happy to announce that the Mystery Speaker is
Paul Murphy from BigWorld! Paul Murphy is the Lead Server Programmer for
BigWorld and will be talking about why and how they use that Open Source
Programming Language Python.

Python has been increasingly being used in Triple A games such as Eve
Online, Freedom Force and Civilisation IV. Come find out why this Game
development company chose the Open Source language over it's closed
source competitors.

Paul will also be giving an overview of how they use commodity Linux
boxes to support games with over 100,000 simultaneous players!

== Hardware **still** need for display at Open Day ==
We are still trying to get more hardware so we can put on the display at
the OpenDay. If you have hardware please think about helping out!

We specifically need the following items:
 * Projectors, for projecting all the fun onto large flat areas!
 * Wireless Keyboards, to unchain those FretsOnFire maniacs!
 * Large displays (IE TVs or Monitors), so people can see the action
from far away
 * Computers with working 3D, to actually run the games on

Other gear which would be good is:
 * DDR Mats compatible with PC Converters
 * Xbox's which run Linux
 * Handheld and Normal consoles with "Homebrew" Open Source software

The Open Day is on Thursday the '''18th January''' from 2pm till 8:30pm.
Hardware would need to be available for the complete time and delivered
earlier that day.

We will try our best to make sure no damage occurs to your hardware, but
please note we won't be held responsible for any damage which may occur.

=== Program ===
The latest program can always be found on the LCA website.
 http://lca2007.linux.org.au/Miniconfs/Gaming/ProgramNew

I'm happy to point out that the program has been updated, It now
includes all the missing descriptions and numerous small corrections.

=== Actually coming along ===
Another good way is to just come and listen. There would be no point of
the Miniconf if nobody came to it! Don't forget to bring your brain so
you can ask insightful questions and learn lots of cool stuff.

All people attending the Miniconf MUST be registered with Linux.conf.au.

Don't forget that you can come to the Gaming Miniconf even if you
registered for another Miniconf!

==== About linux.conf.au 2007 ====
linux.conf.au is Australia's annual technical conference for the Open
Source and Free Software developer community. Now in its eighth year,
linux.conf.au is regarded as one of the premier global FLOSS technical
events and attracts many international open source software developers
and users.

Returning to Sydney from the 15th to 20th of January, linux.conf.au 2007
is supported by our Emperor sponsors, HP and IBM, and hosted at the
University of New South Wales. For more information about linux.conf.au
2007 visit our website at: http://lca2007.linux.org.au/

==== About Linux Australia ====
Linux Australia exists to serve and promote the Australian Linux and
Open Source community. The organisation aims to do this best by taking
enthusiasms within the community, such as FOSS issues, projects,
education, advocacy just to name a few, and help them flourish, to
succeed. The lifeblood of this organisation is the people in the
community, and Linux Australia strives to be both relevant and useful to
the community. For more details about Linux Australia visit:
http://www.linux.org.au/