[Linux-aus] Nominations and their spiels for the LA election

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Wed Jan 3 06:16:02 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 03:17:49AM +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Side conferences don't just happen by asking for them. Somebody has to
> organise them, be on the ground, get locations, get funding together
> etc. Do not underestimate the effort required for even a small
> conference.

> So, just to repeat: it's all about the people who organise things!
> Organising a miniconf is one thing - organising a whole stand-alone
> conference is a very different type of cattle, needs continuity, and
> people on the ground! Be carful what you're asking for...

This is largely correct, sure the sponsorship issue is one to note, however
a big one is getting people to do the volunteer leg work.

For lca05 we attempted to encourage a number of groups to do big additional
conferences at the same time (or around the same time). We got the open
source in govt one because someone local on th ground was there to volunteer
to run it an worked well with our org team.

Other approaches we made suggesting scaling up a mini conf or similar
however did not bear results, partly due to no local people and partly due
to how remote .au is if there is a major confernece on that subject in the
world already, keeping it at mini conf level attached to LCA was easier for
the people we approached with the suggestion of scaling up.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
i'm trying to feel my way around a book of promises written in braille