[Linux-aus] Nominations and their spiels for the LA election

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Tue Jan 2 22:33:01 UTC 2007

>     - in the interests of promoting Australian free software projects and
>       hackers internationally, the President and Vice-President of
>       Linux Australia shall each take one overseas trip a year to a free
>       software event, to promote LA and keep up to date with events
>
>     - each committee member shall participate at an event other than LCA
>       that's at least 100km from their hometown at least once during the year
>
>     - each LUG of 50 members or more shall be entitled to ask LA to invite
>       an Australian free software hacker to give a presentation at one
>       of their meetings once a year
>
>     - each LUG of 150 members or more shall be entitled to ask LA
>       to invite an international free software hacker to give a
>       presentation at one of their meetings once a year
>
> If LA were to pick up the bill for those things, and you assume Australian
> travel costs about $600 on average, and international travel about $2000,
> that's 2x$2000 + 7x$600 + 20*$600 + 7x$2000 = $4,000 + $4,200 + $12,000 +
> $14,000 = $34,200, less if some of those can be done by car, or combined,
> or similar. For comparison, the grant scheme has a budget of $12,000 a
> year, and uses up probably $6k-$8k. Is an international speaker for each
> major LUG worth a similar amount? How about having some good non-local
> speakers at smaller regional usergroups?

I actually think this would be a great idea! I have to admit I never
actually get around to going to my local LUG, but still think this would
be cool thing to do.

Personally, I would also like to see the LUG's advertise and try to
reach out to getting new users a little bit more. Posters around
Universities, getting free Ubuntu CD's for schools to hand out, etc.

As mentioned on IRC, timing talks around LCA would also help reduce
costs of the International speakers.

Tim Ansell