[Linux-aus] Nominations and their spiels for the LA election

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jan 2 22:26:02 UTC 2007

Anthony Towns wrote:

> If LA were to pick up the bill for those things, and you assume Australian
> travel costs about $600 on average, and international travel about $2000,
> that's 2x$2000 + 7x$600 + 20*$600 + 7x$2000 = $4,000 + $4,200 + $12,000 +
> $14,000 = $34,200, less if some of those can be done by car, or combined,
> or similar. For comparison, the grant scheme has a budget of $12,000 a
> year, and uses up probably $6k-$8k. Is an international speaker for each
> major LUG worth a similar amount? How about having some good non-local
> speakers at smaller regional usergroups?
>
> Go on, tell me how it's a stupid idea and what would be better :)

The goodosity of the idea would depend on whether $34k is a significant
portion of LA's operating budget or not. I'm a little out of touch with
LA's finances, can you clarify that aspect please?

What about other options, like video conferencing international people
in? Or having the international people talk at more than one LUG while
they are out here?

Mikal