[Linux-aus] Re: A/V recordings and publishing

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 21:20:07 UTC 2007

(cc-ed to LA for relevancy)

Hi Paul,

there is some equipment left over from this year's recordings since we
bought half the gear as it was cheaper than renting. This gear now
belongs to LA and it is up to LA to do with it as they like.

We actually discussed this point a bit at a previous SLUG meeting.
While it would be a good idea for the LUGs to use the equipment to get
more experience in  video recording, it would also mean that next
year's LCA a/v team would need to start buying stuff from scratch -
because once the gear is handed over to a LUG, it will (hopefully) be
used and thus, obviously, lose quality.

An alternative and probably better idea is that LUGs request a grant
from LA to build up their a/v equipment (I think this was Jeff's
idea). This is a better idea in many respects. First of all, the LUGs
will actually have to make a case and thus learn a bit about what's
involved. Also, the gear will not be distributed to random LUGs that
will actully not do anything with it anyway. And also, the now well
sorted equipment for LCA will continue to be well sorted and can be
re-used.

So, if you are interested to get some gear for your LUG, maybe ask for
a LA grant?

Cheers,
Silvia.