[Linux-aus] Converting Linux Australia's "Committee" to a "Board"

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Mon Feb 26 12:53:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 15:05 +1100, Dave Davey wrote:

> I'm not a corporate lawyer or expert, but in my experience boards are
> usually partly or entirely drawn from outside the ordinary membership (or
> employees) of an organisation.  I don't think this is the model you have
> in mind, or one that you would want to project to the community at large.

Correct. As I said in my original post I think LA would totally lose
credibility as a "community organisation" with that model.

> Other organisations that want a management "committee" to bear a name that
> readily distinquishes it from committees charged with specific tasks
> use the term "Council".  Just as a municipal council is elected from the
> members of the municipality,  the council of an organisation is elected
> from the membership.

Excellent suggestion.

> Linux Australia also needs a clearly defined spokesperson.  "President"
> is probably the best title.  Organsations with boards can, and usually have
> both a president and a board chairman.
>
> So another model would be
> 	elevate the committe to council
> 	elevate sub-committees to commitees (best named committees)
> 	retain president and vice president

Sounds like a good model to me: it's basically what I'm wanting to
achieve, but with "Council" instead of "Board". The connotations of a
"Council" is that it's more representative of the community anyway. I
like it!

Anyone else have comments on this structure?

Cheers   :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 3 9723 9399