[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au: Student Miniconf

Joel Stanley joel.stanley at adelaide.edu.au
Sat Feb 24 08:08:02 UTC 2007

Hello All,

As I have mentioned to some previously, I am interested in running a
'student miniconf' at linux.conf.au 2008, which is being held in
Melbourne in January.

The purpose of the miniconf would be to bring students and young
graduates together to discuss issues relevant to the age group, to
discover the benefits that Free and Open Source software could bring
them in their chosen fields, and to meet the people that will be our
future colleagues and workmates.

I believe that while there are already a healthy number of young
people willing to pay their own way to the conference, the real
benefit will be to students who are currently unaware of FOSS, the
opportunities it provides, and the existence of the conference. To
further this, I would like to be able to sponsor students from around
the country to come to Melbourne for the week.

Engineers Australia has expressed an interest in this area, and other
avenues to explore may be Linux Australia grants, University support,
and corporate sponsorship. Leslee Hawthorn, the google contact who was
at lca 07, has also expressed interest in helping out, possibly tying
the event into the google summer of code program.

Please share with me any ideas, support, criticism or advice you may have.

Regards,

Joel

--
p 0401857344
e joel.stanley at adelaide.edu.au

Bachelor of Engineering(Computer Systems)/Economics, 5th year,
University of Adelaide