[Linux-aus] LA from "Committee" to "Council"?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Thu Feb 15 14:07:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 22:30 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> Having positions like Secretary and Traesurer, elected by the masses
> means that it is mopre likely that someone with some clues about the
> task, and, some aptitude for the task, would occupy the position.

ummmm....  I kinda disagree.
That's only true if you get competent candidates VOLUNTEERING and
nominated to do these jobs.

I'd say we've been lucky so far - but it's always hardest to find
someone to volunteer to be treasurer - as it's a HUGE amount of work,
and a considerable burden of responsibility.

Whilst pres and vp get all the glory, sec and treasurer get all the
responsibility.

Having an elected council decide amongst themselves who should be office
bearers based on their skills and experience is a more effective way of
doing things, and possibly more australian.

We elect the council, they decide amongst themselves who should do which
tasks.

In real terms - if this facilitates terry and aj sharing the burden of
the hard ugly committee work - then it's all good.

What it's all called wouldn't bother me too much - but whatever is
necessary to facilitate growth, and protect and foster community
involvement would be a good thing.

--
donna benjamin - executive director
http://www.creativecontingencies.com/