[Linux-aus] Converting Linux Australia's "Committee" to a "Board"

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Feb 15 11:33:09 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 02:14:19PM +1100, Jonathan Oxer wrote:
> Even with no other changes than "s/Committee/Board/" applied to the
> constitution this would help the situation somewhat because it would
> make the respective roles very obvious and clear the way for "upgrading"
> existing Sub-Committees to Committees. Basically the current "Committee"
> would become the "Board", and current "Sub-Committees" would become
> "Committees".

I am hanbing out to see how many people jump up and down about naming and
semantics and how it sounds, also is it all as simple a s changing an
organisation through liberal use of sed.

> who will be the President / Chairperson / Head Cheerleader or whatever

Ooohh Jon can wear the frilly skirt and wave the pom poms about.... oops
sorry for planting that image in everyone's head...

The thing I wish to know with respect to this proposal is, does the use of
Board rather than Committee have some special differentiation in Australian
Law or something? If not is it ismply because it wil help people think it
works different to use different terminology?

I guess the problem you point out is the current constitution does not allow
the ocmmittee to run optimally.

Is this regular expression all that is needed to make the constitution allow
LA to run differently? It seems more like the constition would need changes
specifically allowing certain practices and it is not necessarily tied to
terminology of "Board" vs "committee" but iis tied to what the constitution
says roles in the governance of LA do.

Is a regular expression enough to change the constitution for this stuff to
happen? Or are there actual signifficant changes needed to the constitution
to allow change in role behviour and how the ctte/board get stuff done.

Cheers

	See You
	    Steve

--