Vista Sales, TV ads [Was: [Linux-aus] Vista v. Linux Movie]

gareth gareth at computerrescue.com.au
Mon Feb 12 14:21:13 UTC 2007

Paul Wayper wrote:

> But even a small step away from that 'what next' ad - an ad where you
> just see someone doing stuff in Linux, using apps that few people using
> proprietary OSes will recognise, with a light, funky soundtrack and no
> explanation, closing on a URL (e.g. www.makethemove.net,
> www.getgnulinux.org, www.whylinuxisbetter.net) - is pretty much exactly
> what Apple and Sony do to sell stuff: they talk about lifestyle and
> build a curiosity in the audience.  That ad for the Sony Bravia just
> featured truckloads of coloured balls bouncing down a hill in San
> Francisco and the name at the end - that was all about building a
> curiosity in the audience, ...

Hurrah! Now that's what I'm talki... Wow. Almost used the _worst_quote_ever_

Actually showing real people using Linux.

Intrigue them. Then reel 'em in.

Demystification is the goal.

--
Gareth

Computer Rescue
0422 538 559

Randomly Generated Fortune:
The first myth of management is that it exists.  The second myth of
management is that success equals skill.
                 -- Robert Heller