[Linux-aus] Open Source for Seniors

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Sat Feb 3 18:14:01 UTC 2007

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 08:54:23 pm Dave Davey wrote:
> Whoa...  Just because the members are seniors does not mean they are
> technically incompetent.   And those involved in the Association and
> active enough to attend a national conference are likely to the more
> capable people.  The 30 minute time limit is a more serious restriction.

I do understand there are definitely senior members of our society that are
going to be switched on and technically minded, however I more speaking from
my experience out this way. It seems difficult to find many people in our
rural towns and cities that have any interest in such things. Apologies for
any offense, it wasn't intended.

> The senior computer users I help in my community are expressing increasing
> interest in Linux - especially when I use a Linux rescue system to copy
> critical documents and photos from a Windows system made unusable by
> a trojan.  The word gets around pretty quickly. Nevertheless they have
> many reservations and uncertainties, often it seems planted by computer
> sales, and particularly service people.  (The impression I have gained
> is that service technicians "expert" in Windows feel seriously threatened
> by Linux and try to protect their territory in unethical ways.)
<SNIP>
> Hope this is some help.

Definitely of help. That should be lots to get me started.

Regards,

Andrew Swinn