[Linux-aus] Seeking nomination

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Fri Dec 21 09:34:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 14:22 +1030, David Newall wrote:
> > With regards to nominating, you are allowed to nominate yourself.
> >

> I'd prefer not to.  I'd like to know I'm not alone in believing that an
> amalgamation would be desirable.

You should only stand for Directorship if you actually want to be a
Director of Linux Australia, and wish to advocate of the cause of Linux
in Australia and the other aims that our community is involved in.

What happens to AUUG, Inc is entirely irrelevant to everyone. The
organization died at least 3 years ago when its employee quit and the
then Board couldn't even find people to run for re-election (the fact
that AUUG hasn't formally evaporated is a sad testament to
organizational inertia).

If the 35 (sic, but that seems high) Members of AUUG wish to have
anything to do with Linux in Australia then they should have something
to do with Linux in Australia, thereby becoming part of the community
and thus defacto "members" (which is the only membership requirement;
shit, you don't even have to _do_ anything to be a Member. Just
expressing interest is sufficient, and the act of becoming a Member can
be automatically granted (if desired) by, for example, registering for
and attending an LCA). And if an individual isn't interested in
contributing to the community around Linux and the cause of Software
Freedom, well, then they're not part of the Linux Australia community,
and they can have fun doing something else.

In other words, much ado about nothing.

No one at AUUG, Inc (does the organization even have valid Directors
anymore?) has anything to do with it any individual's involvement in
anything. No one at Linux Australia, Inc has anything to do with AUUG.
There's nothing to amalgamate, so standing on that "platform" is
meaningless.

If you wish to be a part of the group of people who kindly volunteer
their time to act as Directors and see to the stewardship of Linux
Australia, Inc's raison d'être (which is mostly about being the
financial entity around a kick-ass Linux conference), then perhaps
nominate yourself on the strength of your qualification for this role.

AfC
Sydney