[Linux-aus] Observations from a new member on the list

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Thu Dec 20 00:12:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 09:28 +1100, Anestis Kozakis wrote:

> The point I was trying to make is that people are getting hung up on a name.

I got your point. :)  I agree.

Ultimately, what it's called doesn't matter as much as clearly
articulating we are Linux AND not Linux ONLY. So long as we are actively
INclusive rather than EXclusive I think we can continue using the name
we have, despite its shortcomings.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/140612/open_source_lags_linux_in_the_enterprise_study_says.html

As the above article outlines, for the time being at least, Linux IS
more widely recognised than Open Source, and it avoids the political
debate and linguistic awkwardness of FLOSS.

Welcome to you Anestis - congrats on jumping bravely in and contributing
to the debate. Participation is key.

cheers
Donna

--