[Linux-aus] Observations from a new member on the list

Anestis Kozakis kenosti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:28:57 UTC 2007

On 20/12/2007, Karl Goetz <kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 07:56 +1100, Anestis Kozakis wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I am new to the list, but the recent discussions have prompted me to
> > make the following observations:
> >

> > 5] On name changes, well, we could leave Linux Australia as it is and
> > just incorporate open source software in the charter, or we could
> > change the name to Linux Australia and Open Source (LAOS), or Linux
> > Australia and Open Source Software (LAOSS).  Changing a name does not
> > necessarily mean changing the nature of the group, it's members, or
> > what the group is about.
>
> the main issue i see with putting "Open source" in the name is that not
> everyone belives in it.
> In relation to open software, we have the (pre existing) "Free software"
> movement.
> kk

The point I was trying to make is that people are getting hung up on a name.

It could just as easily be Linux, Free, and Open Source Software
Australia (LFOSSA).

Or we could just keep Linux Australia and change the charter to
include all the other areas that Linux usually incorporates.

> Karl Goetz,

Anestis.
--
Anestis Kozakis