[Linux-aus] Observations from a new member on the list

Anestis Kozakis kenosti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 20:56:44 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I am new to the list, but the recent discussions have prompted me to
make the following observations:

1] If you can't reply in a civilised manner, please don't reply at
all.  Leave personal attacks at the door.  Best thing to do is ignore
the personal attacks, and just respond to the relative issues.

2] On the AUUG/Linux merger, it could be possibly be a good thing,
considering there is OpenBSD out there, and UNIX users also run open
source software.  It could also give the AUUG membership a place to
go.

3] On Linux Australia and what it represents, well, I like the idea
of an organisation representing Linux users at conferences and to
government ministers, promoting Linux as an alternative.  As long as
Linux Australia accept input from the community on various issues,
and report back to the community, I have no issues.

4] On open source software, well, without other software, Linux is
just an operating system that runs on a computer which, well, does
nothing much.   Open source software should be included in Linux
Australia's charter.  Do we really only help people new to Linux
install Linux and that's it?  Or do we go further and help them
install other open source software (like Open Office, Firefox, etc
etc) so they can actually use the computer in a productive manner?

5] On name changes, well, we could leave Linux Australia as it is and
just incorporate open source software in the charter, or we could
change the name to Linux Australia and Open Source (LAOS), or Linux
Australia and Open Source Software (LAOSS).  Changing a name does not
necessarily mean changing the nature of the group, it's members, or
what the group is about.

Hmm, I am sure I had more points, but I'm on 4 hours sleep, so if I
think of anything else, I'll post.

Anestis.

--
Anestis Kozakis