[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Karl Goetz kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net
Wed Dec 19 10:36:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 14:57 +1030, David Newall wrote:
> James Turnbull wrote:
> > In the event AUUG choose to dissolve in some form I think Linux
> > Australia has the opportunity to further some of AUUG's activities in
> > supporting research into computer science and could potentially make a
> > good caretaker, together with UNSW perhaps, for AUUG records and
> > intellectual property.
> >

> Linux Australia already does everything that AUUG ever did, and it does
> it at least as well.  AUUG's problem is that it lost its vigor, probably
> because the members with energy switched their efforts to Linux Australia.
>
> Were it my decision, I would have Linux Australia absorb AUUG and,
> because AUUG is the second-oldest such organisation in the world, I'd
> include that word in Linux Australia's name.  I'd poll the members to

Sorry, slightly at a tangent - i can see a conversation like this in the
future:

geek one "are you a member of Linux Australia?"
geek two "no, i'm a member of AUUG/Linux Australia, see my site at <link
goes here> for why you need to say AUUG slash"
kk.

> decide whether Linux Australia's charter should be extended to include
> "open systems", and I'd ignore any howl of protest from the losing camp,
> no matter how quiet that howl was.  Proprietary UNIX is an irrelevancy,
> although it would seem strange for an organisation dedicated to free and
> open systems to snub the siblings because they were open but not free.

Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor
http://www.kgoetz.id.au