[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

James Turnbull james at lovedthanlost.net
Wed Dec 19 04:08:53 UTC 2007

David Newall wrote:
>> All of this being said, I do think investigating any proposed
>> amalgamation is a very good idea but not at the expense of potentially
>> diluting LA's ability to be a strong advocate for both Linux and open
>> source software generally.
>>

> AUUG was a strong advocate of Linux before Linux Australia existed.
> There were no barriers then, or now.
>
> Please don't squander this opportunity.  AUUG needs help.  The John
> Lions Award needs help.  Absent Linux Australia, and both of these will
> disappear into the night.

My email merely indicated I had concerns - I certainly did not say the
idea was not or shouldn't be investigated.  But it is worth making sure
- - if the AUUG membership should chose to take that path - that everyone
on both sides is happy and gets the best possible outcome.

Indeed I was speaking to one of the so-called "grey beards" of AUUG
yesterday and this was the exact point he highlighted.  He indicated
that whilst changes may happen to AUUG the three key items he would hate
to see lost if AUUG dissolved were:

* Support for the Lions Chair;
* The awarding of the John Lions Award; and
* The loss of the historical intellectual property of AUUG

He pointed out that, after Usenix, AUUG was the oldest Unix users group
in the world (I took his word for that - people are welcome to correct me).

In the event AUUG choose to dissolve in some form I think Linux
Australia has the opportunity to further some of AUUG's activities in
supporting research into computer science and could potentially make a
good caretaker, together with UNSW perhaps, for AUUG records and
intellectual property.

All of this would require some negotiation with the AUUG community to
ensure a smooth transition but I believe would bolster the ideals of the
members of both communities.

Regards

James Turnbull

- --