[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Wed Dec 19 04:07:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:07:33AM +1100, Andrew Cowie wrote:
> And, no, I'm not dissing LA. Or AUUG for that matter - but I encourage
> people to acknowledge that both organizations are somewhere between
> notional and virtual. Expecting "AUUG to have an opinion" or "LA to take
> a stand" on something is a bit ridiculous.

OTOH, expecting a stand taken by some members to receive in imprimatur
of LA endorsement isn't so ridiculous.

Which is just a way of looking at the same thing that better fits the
procedure Andrew recommends:

> Individuals take action and
> invest the effort to do so; It is only when an organization like Linux
> Australia can back such an initiative with its name, and likewise
> benefit from an individual's effort on their behalf, that the
> organization grows to be more.

The benefits of LA endorsement drop if you change the brand ("Supported
by FLOSS-Soc? So it's something to do with dentists?"), though it may
increase again as people get more familiar with it.

OTOH, it's pretty hard to endorse something that doesn't match your brand
("Linux Australia endorses the OpenSolaris conference? Huh?").

Cheers,
aj