[Linux-aus] [AUUG-Talk]: Re: AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Tue Dec 18 01:48:55 UTC 2007

Peter,

Peter Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 07:56 +1100, James Turnbull wrote:
>> I don't have a broad objection to [LA] merging with AUUG but I do have
>> concerns (and would point out that the argument is somewhat moot until
>> AUUG's members decide on an exact approach and vote on it).
>
> The AUUG Constitution [1] (3. AIMS) says in part
>
>         "...subscribe to or cooperate with or affiliate with or
>         amalgamate with other associations formed elsewhere with similar
>         aims..."
>
> This does not say "identical aims".
>
> My reading of this is that an amalgamation if LA and AUUG is possible
> under the AUUG constitution.  However, some AUUG members take an
> uncompromisingly opposite view.  It has been observed that the numbers
> of still-commercially-viable closed-source Unixes are dwindling (or
> flirting with going Open Source, e.g. Solaris), and the numbers of
> members of AUUG who today still use closed-source Unixes are dwindling
> even faster.   Also, I suspect some long-standing members rather chafe
> at the idea of AUUG playing the supplicant role in any merger
> negotiations.

Someone has to say it, so I will (1).

Realistically, the following two statements *are* true:

  * there are some the AUUG members and/or ex-members and/or
participants
    who simply don't like Linux Australia; and

  * there are some Linux Australia members and/or ex-members and/or
    participants who don't like the AUUG

I don't think these factions are broadly representative of their
respective groups, but they are in a position to make an amalgamation
process much more of a hassle than shutting down The AUUG (2) and
subsequently squabbling over how the assets are dealt with after a
dissolution.

DSL

(1) I'm used to being the bogey man
(2) And realistically, LA isn't likely going to close down at the moment