[Linux-aus] Fwd: Ogg Vorbis and Theora removed from HTML5

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Mon Dec 17 04:07:19 UTC 2007

It seems to me that championing patent reform is not enough.  The open
source industry needs also to embrace the current system to the
fullest.  That means collecting a portfolio of submarine patents.  Play
the proprietary industry at it's own game.  Don't squawk when a company
encroaches on free patents, but wait until they are commercially
committed to it, and then play with them like a cat with a mouse.  What
would Microsoft do if faced with the choice of abandoning it's complete
patent portfolio, or paying a $1,000 per unit royalty on every copy of
Windows, or Office, or IE, or Media Player, or whatever product had been
violating the patent for, say, 10 years?  Bankrupt them or leave them
bereft of any patent protection?  I don't care.  That's their problem,
isn't it?