[Linux-aus] Fwd: Ogg Vorbis and Theora removed from HTML5

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon Dec 17 00:13:59 UTC 2007

<quote who="Paul Wayper">

> Sorry, but to me it is disingenuous of Apple, Nokia and Microsoft to say
> "well, it might have a patent in there somewhere despite all that
> searching, we'd better not touch it being the good corporate citizens that
> we are".

That's really not what they're saying though. They're saying that they don't
want to take the additional risk. I don't believe that public information
exists that *rules out* the existence of submarine patents on Vorbis/Theora
(for good reason), and they may feel as if they have better information to
hand in the first place.

They have different values to us, and we can agree to disagree with them
about some of those issues, but to assume the worst (and raise conspiracy
theories) as a result of that is not particularly kind. We shouldn't throw
our toys across the room just because there's disagreement about a complex
issue like this. :-)

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

    "Think video. Think text flickering over your walls. Think games at
    work. Think anything where a staid, link-based browser is useless."
          "This person wrote for Ab Fab, right?" - Rich Welykochy