[Linux-aus] Some questions

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 10:08:21 UTC 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 11:08 AM, Janet Hawtin <lucychili at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks
> Would you like to throw your thoughts in the middle around these questions?
ok here goes

> do you visit a lug
LinuxSA. Adelaide South West Computer club, also a couple of times to
the General's Lounge.
AUUG Adelaide and some Mawson Lakes events.

> do you subscribe to a lug list
LinuxSA and a range of lists around programming languages and groups in Adelaide
/me waves to the Adelaide AUUG Calzone crew.
several technology, free culture, wikimedia, search, social
networking, education, librarian, culture lists.

> are you a member of another free or open community?
Air Stream, Bettong.org, we are having a joint Xmas meeting with
ITShare soon so ITShare visitor?

> are you a member of another 'maker' community?
I participate in the Spinner and Weaver courses.
There was a cafe called Drift where writers, bike people, artists,
foss geeks all hung out.
Trying to brew the same kind of thing at All Seasons in Mt Barker for
Saturday lunches.
Mum, my sisters and I do quilting, painting, random makey kinds of things.
I think the tall bike mashup folks at Tongue of Fire are great but I
am more of a fan than a member.
I have some friends who are quiz night junkies and I am sometimes one of those.
TALO online education group.
Online games guilds.
I blog and comment on edu and technology. More commenting than
blogging recently.
Kim is into bike mashups, recumbents, we both have been playing with
fiction writing and
share books with friends.
Flashmob and smart mob groups Including an event that collected books for PNG

> what are the 3 best local events you participated in this year
LinuxSA has had some great talks including Peter Hutterer who is speaking at LCA
Software Freedom Day in Mt Gambier was very cool. We listened to Noven
who had an audio feed from his event in Copley.
The Beach Camp BarCamp because it was people making something different happen.
I like the South West Adelaide meets because the folks that run it all
contribute, its an older
group of people and great to see them getting open code to work for them.
Bill Kerr has run some squeak workshops which have been a good head stretch.

> what are the 3 best national or international events you participated
> in this year
LCA2007, ASLA teacher librarian conference. Interesting conversations
and ideas around information technology and education. Simerr and
CEGSA conferences were also interesting.

> is there something different you would like to be able to do either
> locally or nationally next year?
Help as I can with the Limestone Coast Computer Club
Aiming to kick the pli problem for Bettong.org and talking with
ITShare and the Hut about
making something happen in Aldgate hopefully on a monthly basis.
(fingers crossed)
Kim would like to make some free software table top games out of
recycled tech I would like to help with that.
Interested in usability, accessibility standards and copyright ++stuff
but that gives the gist.