[Linux-aus] Some answers to questions

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Sat Dec 15 22:01:11 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 11:08 +1030, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> do you visit a lug

yup - all you need is LUV! dat da dada da.
Linux Users Victoria meets on the first Tuesday of the month.
We usually have 2 talks, along with news and what's happening
announcements.  Greets and eats happen before and after for different
sub sets of the LUV mob.  http://www.luv.asn.au

> do you subscribe to a lug list
Yup - LUV has a bunch of mailing lists - luv-main and luv-talk being the
most active, but there's also a beginners list - an edu-sig - and a
bunch of others.

> are you a member of another free or open community?

Does OSIA count here? I'm on the OSIA board. Unfortunately though, I
have been somewhat inactive in OSIA this year due to focus on organising
linux.conf.au - OSIA is the businessy end of our community.
http://www.osia.net.au

Linuxchix.  Again though - have been less involved than I'd like to be
this year due to primary foss volunteer focus going into a certain
conference that is now just 43 days away.

> are you a member of another 'maker' community?

Haven't for a long time, but I used to make paper. I don't have the
space to do it now, but I acted alone, and didn't really have a
community - but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

> what are the 3 best local events you participated in this year

Specifically open source?
Ballarat install fest, the education show, Waugh roadshow.

Of other interest...
International women's day breakfast put on by Vic Women in ICT
A marketing seminar by small business victoria
Teacher conferences - ICTEV and VITTA

> what are the 3 best national or international events you participated
> in this year

OSDC 2006, linux.conf.au 2007, Software Freedom Day
in 2006 I went to xtech in the netherlands - which had a stream on open
data - I spoke about ODF and it's importance for the future of digital
preservation.

> is there something different you would like to be able to do either
> locally or nationally next year?

Would like to see more small and local events around open source
software freedom - some stuff where we reach out to business groups,
local governments, schools... Perhaps target Computer swap meets and
school fetes, local festivals and events.

Next year - when I've recovered from linux.conf.au - I intend to put
together a new grant application for getting a huge amount of OpenDiscs
burnt, and use these to spread the word.  Vic gov hosts a small business
festival mid year - it might be a good one to look at for having a stand
at...  I've put a lot of energy into education in past couple of years -
and think it's time to shift some of this to small business.

I'd also like to do some more work with computerbank. :)
http://vic.computerbank.org.au/

Also interested in evaluating whether we could muster the energy and
resources to have a stand at next year's Royal Melbourne Show.

I want to continue to build community capability and connections.

Thanks Janet - nice to have some questions like these to think about,
and thanks for clarifying your open intent to spark a 'sharing' of
experiences.

I am what I am because of who we all are.

--
Donna Benjamin
Conference Director linux.conf.au 2008 http://linux.conf.au