[Linux-aus] Some questions

Peter Miller millerp at canb.auug.org.au
Sat Dec 15 07:15:41 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 11:08 +1030, Janet Hawtin wrote:
> do you visit a lug

yes, sydney (slug)

> do you subscribe to a lug list

yes, slug

> are you a member of another free or open community?

what, apart from LA?

chief maintainer of a couple of OSS projects.

I've noticed, in the course of my martial arts training, that
traditional martial arts are consistently open - usually training costs
go to hire of the venue and maintenance of equipment, and (sigh)
insurance, and the instructors are not paid.  Membership is open to all,
management and promotion and hierarchy is simple and (mostly)
transparent.  They exist (almost, only exist) to pass the knowledge on.
And, like OSS, they are a meritocracy.

The bushwalking community has some similarities, too.

> are you a member of another 'maker' community?

I love watching "New Yankee Workshop", does that count? :-)

> what are the 3 best local events you participated in this year

Assuming you meant F/OSS.
first: CodeCon - a generator, a tent, and a bunch of coders with
laptops;
second: coders at the Mountbatten Hotel before SLUG every month;
third: Erik de Castro Lopo boosting Ocaml at SLUG.

> what are the 3 best national or international events you participated

LCA, LCA and LCA

> is there something different you would like to be able to do either
> locally or nationally next year?

can't decide if I'm thrilled CodeCon is a manageable size, or try to
work out how to spread the meme wider.

Regards
Peter Miller <millerp at canb.auug.org.au>
/\/\*        http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/

PGP public key ID: 1024D/D0EDB64D
fingerprint = AD0A C5DF C426 4F03 5D53  2BDB 18D8 A4E2 D0ED B64D
See http://www.keyserver.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.

"Any code of your own that you haven't looked at for six or more months
might as well have been written by someone else." -- Eagleson's law