[Linux-aus] [Osia-discuss] Re: Standards Australia OOXML technical committee meeting

Jeff Waugh jeff at waughpartners.com.au
Wed Dec 12 07:04:02 UTC 2007

<quote who="Janet Hawtin">

> - meeting time advertised one day before meeting - flights were very
> expensive.

I certainly knew about it before then. I think most of your concerns come
from a lack of understanding and involvement in the standardisation process
in general. No disrespect, it's just that (for all its warts), you can't
expect to jump into a fairly complicated, bureaucratic process and be 100%
on top if it straight away. Large companies have people dedicated to this
crap.

That's actually the biggest problem with this whole thing. We're the little
people in the middle of an ugly, nasty war between two (or more) companies
that are using standards as industrial weapons in the marketplace. It's like
Alien vs. Predator: Whichever wins, we lose. (Sorry, crappy movie, but I did
like the tagline.)

- Jeff

--
Waugh Partners

  m. +61 423 989 818
  p. +61 2 9318 0284
  f. +61 2 9318 2884
  w. http://waughpartners.com.au/

Open Source: Strategic Consulting, Industry Development, Research & Analysis