[Linux-aus] New Federal Govt's Education/PC plans

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Dec 5 03:53:25 UTC 2007

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Paul Coldrey <paul at ensigma.com.au> wrote:
> True. I was thinking from the point of view of a new starter which I
> guess are only a small part of the puzzle. My 4 year old son is a lot
> more comfortable using Linux than Windows,... it is all he has ever
> seen. I shudder to think of the cost of reskilling him when he starts
> school :-).

Children can adapt better than most adults, so there isn't much need for
concern.

One defence raised by proponents of the status quo is, "children should learn
what they'll be using in the workforce". This argument fails for several
reasons. To name but a few:

* When I was a child, I was using DOS. How do we know what a five-year-old
today will be using in fifteen years' time?

* The best workers are flexible workers. Children should learn computing, not
Windows; word processing, not Word. They should be able to adapt to use
whatever tools are available. This argument can also be extended to promote
the importance of open standards and vendor neutrality.

* How is a child meant to learn anything at all if the hardware and software
is too expensive to be purchased? You probably couldn't justify buying your
child a copy of Photoshop just so they could muck around, but you would be
more comfortable giving them a free copy of the GIMP.

- Sridhar

--
Need to fork out $$$ for the next software upgrade? Break the cycle!
http://www.linux.org.au/linux