[Linux-aus] New Federal Govt's Education/PC plans

Marco Ostini m.ostini at uq.edu.au
Mon Dec 3 02:06:34 UTC 2007

Hey Janet, Phil, et al.

>> It makes good sense to me that we should immediately lobby the
>> government to encourage schools to use FOSS.

> Good advice
> Tying efforts to things which can be practically supported is great.

How's this for practical; How would each LA member on this list feel about
going to this site:

	http://theopendisc.com/

Get the ISO and burn it onto a disc and send it, or better yet, deliver it
in person to your local member. (Especially if their now in Government)

With the Disc include a letter explaining what FOSS is, and how it's
driving the 'Internet Economy' and is the staple for people like Google,
Yahoo and Wikipedia. It was even used to make the Kevin07 site. (Joomla)

Chances are pretty good that most of the MP's and schools they will visit
will have Win32 machines, so if we start with apps we know and love on that
platform, when they switch to a distro of Linux, they'll feel right at home
to find the same apps all available.

Comments, flames? Lets get into this issue people. It's timely and one of
the very best ways to evangelise FOSS is to get it into the schools and
USED by children.

Cheers,
Marco