[Linux-aus] Queries re bidding for LCA 2009

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Tue Aug 28 01:40:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 14:52 +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:

> a.  Copies of budgets the accompanied previous bids.

I wouldn't even bother with those.  They had no more clue
than you do at the same stage of preparation.

> b.  Financial statements of previous LCA's.

That's what is really needed. The LA committee probably needs
to ask bidders to prepare a commercial-in-confidence budget.
So they can do that the committee should supply the bidders
with the commercial-in-confidence actual budget of the two
previous LCAs (plus any previous LCA in the bidder's city).
Those details will necessarily need to include names and
amount of sponsorships, so that the bidder can make an
informed estimate of the bidder's sponsorship revenue
(eg, a large sponsorship by a Melbourne-based company
may not be repeated for a lca in Darwin).

You might want to weed out the less competitive bids before
asking for a budget to be prepared. Rather ask the bidders
to initially specify things they are doing differently that
may have financial implications (such as running lca at a
conference facility rather than at a university, or a significant
local sponsor).

Cheers, Glen