[Linux-aus] linux-aus Digest, Vol 1, Issue 1500 lists.linux.org.au)

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Sun Apr 22 22:39:13 UTC 2007

<quote who="linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com">

> And I am yet to see advertisements anywhere in any media, anwhere in
> Australia, for Linux.

Why do you see the existence of advertising as a benchmark for success?
There are *some* markets for which advertising *some* Linux related products
or services makes sense right now; but certainly not the general market, for
Linux as an idea. In the case of this Indy 500 madness, you'd be promoting
to a very particular market in a very general way. That is NOT USEFUL. Even
though it doesn't tickle your "mass market" buttons, we achieve vastly more,
*every year*, with linux.conf.au. Not to mention all the actual work being
done on our software...

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

  "A problem worthy of attack, proves its worth by fighting back." - Paul
                                   Erdos