[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Wed Apr 18 04:06:57 UTC 2007

Paul Wayper wrote:
 > But I wouldn't support an Indy
 > 500 race car.

I appreciate the drive of the people behind this effort, but neither will I.

Given the increasing concern about global warming, I would want Linux
associated with motor racing about as much as I would want it associated
with smoking or unregulated gun ownership.

If we want to spend money outside FOSS development, I think we would do
better looking to projects that benefit the wider community.

We would be better off looking at service clubs (Lions/Rotary/Apex) and
the way they raise money for worthwhile community projects. Something
for a Children's Hospital, or assistive technology for disabled people,
education projects like OLPC etc.

You can't say anything nasty about Bill Gates these days outside of a
room of geeks thanks to his considerable charitable donations.