compulsory accreditation (was Re: [Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS ...)

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Fri Sep 29 12:43:02 UTC 2006

At 2006/9/29 14:15+1000  Brenda Aynsley writes:

> ah so you're saying registration of IT practitioners is not a good thing
> no matter who is the registering authority because it means some sort of
> peer review of capabilities which therefore undermines the contribution
> that people can make?

Open source development relies on the peer review of the actual
contribution.  If you have peer review of what is actually
contributed, peer review of what capabilities you think the
contributor may have becomes a lot less relevant.

It doesn't matter so much what people are theoretically capable of,
but what they actualy deliver. Open Source development reviews what
they deliver, registration techniques review what they are a capable
of.

I think registration/qualifications are useful measure for potential
employers and people wanting to contract work out. I just think that
downsides of *mandatory* registration outweigh the benefits.

Chris
cyeoh at samba.org