[Linux-aus] Accreditation vs. due diligence (Was: Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation)

Nathan Bailey Nathan.Bailey at its.monash.edu
Fri Sep 29 12:11:01 UTC 2006

Accreditation is not a quick fix for due diligence.

How do you choose a good bookkeeper? (House/extension) builder?
Mechanic? Hair stylist?
All these people are likely to have some level of training and
possibly accreditation. But would you choose them based on their
accreditation, or on their references, previous case studies, your
level of comfort and trust, their brand, etc.?

I think a large part of the problem Brent talks about below is the
perceived high cost of skilled IT work vs. the cheap job I can get
from Uncle Harry's teenage nephew.
In other areas, we have learnt that cheap doesn't necessarily mean
good, but we don't seem to have learn it in IT.

The form of accreditation I would like to see is around someone's
capacity to run a business and provide a service, rather than their
technological competence. Technological competence should be measured
by how well they met previous clients needs, how many of their
previous clients apply for repeat business, how healthy their company
is/is growing, etc.

I don't need to be a Linux kernel hacker to provide good IT service
-- in fact, I don't need to know anything about IT at all -- I can
simply be a good IT broker who works with a bunch of competent
consultants to provide solutions. But if I did that very well half a
dozen times, you could be sure I'd be getting good word of mouth
business.

re,